The Fascinating Story of Marin County Artists Creating Mural Art to Welcome Immigrants & Refugees
The producers of the powerful 4 ½ minute film which tells the story of the Canal Alliance “You Are Home” Mural Art Project are passionate about expanding the film into a 4K cinematic documentary short film. The “Get the Picture?” film will:
- Capture the response and reaction of Marin County community members, including city, county and state government leaders, educators, students, artists and neighbors living in the Canal area of San Rafael.
- Tell the story of the mural project’s impact on Canal Alliance staff, supporters and clients.
- Communicate the challenge artists faced with creating connecting panels to join the ten paintings and how they worked through the difficulties to come up with a stunning result in a very short amount of time.
- Portray how members of the community initially unlikely to take an interest in the work of Canal Alliance experienced a fundamental change in their attitude toward refugees, immigrants and clients of the organization because of the mural project.
- Profile each of the artists and project leaders including Omar Carrera, Rich Storek, Kay Carlson and others who played key roles.
- Document how the project has inspired Marin MOCA and two mosaic artists from Italy to join with Canal Alliance and several local Marin County artists to produce a second mural. It’s a visual depiction of the journey of Dr. Ramon Resa from child migrant farm laborer to pediatrician. It’s not only visually stunning, it’s likely to inspire underserved students and all who see the mural to believe they too, just like Dr. Resa did, can achieve a better life though education.
- Position these mural projects within the great history, impact and importance of mural art in the San Francisco Bay/Marin County area.